Tuesday, September 01, 2009

the Lost and the Faith

today i had the great and wonderful opportunity to watch Prince of Egypt with 2 non believing friends... and one of them has hardly any idea about Christianity cuz she's malaysian. which brings me to wonder... what are we doing as christians since there are so many who are unreached!

my singaporean non believing friend said that she likes the idea that she is responsible for her own life, like if she does wrong, she's the one to blame. she said she did not not believe that there is a God out there, but yeah. she just doesn't want to be bounded to anything. she likes the freedom. and i said freedom is lost if you are bounded to religion and rituals. but with christianity i reckon it is different. instead of losing freedom i gained freedom. (but as i was saying this she was kinda lost in her own train of thoughts as she had some other things to say) ohwells. even with that being said, i do not sense that the door has been shut on me. i think i still got chance!

my malaysian friend on the other hand, is super open. she's been going to church and ocf with me. even church cell group. amazing. and since i am helping out in discovery group in ocf where basically ppl find out more bout christianity. she's kinda like in my care. and i just pray that i will know what to say, when to say and how to say. so that i may only spur her on towards knowing Jesus as her personal Lord and Saviour.

i've also yet another friend, whom i thought was christian cuz he said he was catholic then he "converted" and started going to new creation. but last week as i drove him home (and his house was quite far away), we had a very interesting talk. he told me this "actually yihui, i don't really believe that God exists" and he went on to explain bout how there is so much suffering in the world and that wad about those ppl who are born into muslim families, do they not have a chance to hear about who Jesus is, etc. i listened and kinda tried my best to explain, but he said that those were excuses that Christians give. then i realised. omg yihui, you better stock up on your apologetics, or at least read The Faith given to you by the church. but he was really honest and open with me and when i asked if i could do some research and email it to him, he was very grateful.

it seems that there have been many doors open to me. i even managed to secure a coffee appointment with this canadian chinese girl who's here for exchange but isn't christian. then all these made me realise that i really needed to be grounded in the word of God and i had to know who God is for who He is.

i ask myself, "what is my story?" simply because if i knew who God was and is to me, and how He really did change my life then, i'd be able to be better in effectively sharing the gospel by opening an innocent conversation to something so real and deep. So what's my story? What made me draw close to God? What made me believe that God is real? How do i know for certain? Who is this God that i have given my life to? and Why would it benefit others?

no amount of time nor words can convince people to know Jesus. they do not need to be convinced. they need to be convicted. and conviction of one's heart can only come from God above. no human effort can manufacture a God encounter. and now i know, that it is not I. if i want to reach these ppl, i need Jesus. because without him, i can do nothing. i am a mere instrument he can use if he wills.


Purify my heart,
let me be as gold and precious silver.
Purify my heart,
let me be as gold, pure gold.

Refiner's fire,
my heart's one desire
is to be holy;
set apart for You, Lord.
I choose to be holy;
set apart for You, my Master,
ready to do Your will.

Purify my heart,
cleanse me from within
and make me holy.
Purify my heart,
cleanse me from my sin, deep within.


simply because I NEED YOU

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home